December 22, 2009

The Magic of Christmas


READY8 “The best Christmas of all is the presence of a happy family all wrapped up with one another.” ~ Author Unknown

AIM8 I get such a giddy feeling every December. I love the season of Christmas and everything that surrounds it. I love the decorations, the delicious sweets and the decidedly different demeanor of the people you encounter on a day to day basis. I love shopping for the perfect present that will make my gift recipient’s heart smile. I love baking cookies with my children and making sure the snowman cookie has just the right amount of sprinkles on his hat. I love listening to Christmas music and often times find myself pulling out my cds in the middle of July, far before the season begins. I love going to church on Christmas Eve with my family and sharing the renewed joy that comes with the blessings of celebrating the birth of my Savior, Jesus Christ. I told you, I love everything about Christmas and could go on and on with reasons why I love it all.

Most of all, however, I love the magic of Christmas. Do you remember, when you were a child? You’d go to bed Christmas eve wound up with anticipation of what exciting surprises the next morning would bring? As kids, we’d be so stirred up that sleeping felt like it was going to be an impossible feat. Eventually, exhaustion and the threats of no surprises won out, and we drifted off to dreamland. Ahhh, peace and quiet at last. It’s during those quiet moments my parents would reflect on the blessings of their lives and prepare to share their blessings with us, their precious children. In the wee hours of the morning, we’d leap out of bed and hurry to wake our parents so we could race down the stairs to see what surprises awaited us. Our living room was soon filled with squeals of delight and childhood joy. The mystery and magic of Christmas morning filled the air as we tore through pretty papers and perfectly curled ribbons. My parents just watched, mesmerized by the merriment of their children and the marvelous glow on our faces as we opened the gifts we had longed for that year. It was in those moments, my parents wished they could capture the wonder, the excitement, and the love that encompassed the chaos of their Christmas morning.

It wasn’t until I was older that I really started appreciating Christmas. One Christmas afternoon, my mother and I were reflecting on the events of the crazy morning and recounting memories of Christmases past. It was then she spoke her motherly words of wisdom… “I hope someday you have children just like you.” Now, she might have meant, I hope they get into all your cupboards and pull out all your pots and pans. She could have meant, I hope they throw temper tantrums in the middle of the mall and you have to drag them off kicking and screaming. However, on that day, she meant I hope someday you have children who believe in Jesus and the magic that comes with the spirit of giving so your Christmas mornings will be filled with glorious memories…just like mine.

Thanks, Mom, for blessing me with your words of hope. Yes, we’ve had our share of temper tantrums and kitchen chaos over the years. Luckily for me, we do have children who are “just like me” on Christmas morning and fill our home with glorious wonder and squeals of delight so I can cherish the memories for years to come.

FIRE!8 On Christmas Day, take lots of pictures or even videotape the chaos! Later when things quiet down, take a moment to write down the funny things everyone said, the most memorable reaction to a gift and your reflections about the day’s events. Tuck your note away in a special place so you can read it again next year and enjoy the memories of this Christmas all over again.

Have an Excellent Christmas!
Lori

No comments:

Post a Comment